|courtesy of The Washington Post|
Last week, I completed the menu for a day of feasting. I'm really excited to try new dishes this year as I stray from the norm by tweaking here and there. Here is the game plan:
- Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins (which were made on Sunday)
- Mushroom, Bacon & Swiss Strata (will assemble tonight)
- Mimosa's, coffee and juice
Then we'll have some appetizers during football time - nothing too extravagant. I wasn't able to find figs so that put a kink in my original plans, but I swapped it out for some baked brie. Here is the what we have planned for munchies (but let us be honest, I'm sure some chips or something will be thrown into the mix):
- Raspberry Baked Brie
- Walnut, caramelized onion and bleu cheese dip
Among the football, board games, and child laughter (I hope!) dinner preparation will be happening. Hubs and I really planned ahead this year so that we barely spend anytime in the kitchen for the big day. I assembled as much as I could prior to our guests arrival and I'm sure it will pay off.
- Pumpkin & Squash Soup (making tonight)
- Roasted Beet Salad with Goat Cheese
- Turkey (hubs is in charge - rotisserie style)
- Apple Chestnut Dressing ( roasted and peeled the chestnuts last night, but assembling tonight - also using this as a base, but am tweaking for my own love)
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes (hubs in charge)
- Green Bean Casserole (thank you Martha!)
- Corn Casserole (MC is bringing - yum!)
- Cranberries (MC again)
- Mac & Cheese (MC one more time - gluten free!)
- Herb Buttermilk Biscuits (made these on Sunday, they are ready to be baked!)
- Pumpkin Pie (making tomorrow morning)
- Pecan Pie with Bourbon Cream (tomorrow morning too!)
Game plan tomorrow is to bake the pies in the morning and bake sides (dressing, beans and biscuits) in the afternoon. I'll rewarm the soup, and that is all. Not a lot of work on the day of - it is amazing what a little planning can do!
Am I excited? Absolutely! I can't wait for this day of eating and relaxing. Very thankful for lots of things in life, so why not celebrate it!?
What are your plans for Turkey Day? Anything that you absolutely can't wait to eat?!