Sigma Kappa Founders' Day

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 - 
As many of you know, I'm a member of Sigma Kappa Sorority,and staying involved locally as an alumna has always been very important to me.  This year is no different as I celebrate being a member for 10 years!  I work for the organization, serve as an advisor at Purdue, and also serve as the Indy Sigma Kappa alumnae chapter president.  I love my organization and I believe in being a Greek member of the National Panhellenic Conference.

Today, November 9th, is Sigma Kappa's Founders' Day.  In 1874, five women colonized our Alpha chapter at Colby College and we've grown ever since.  This past weekend, I was able to celebrate with a few members from our alumnae chapter at Mesh on Mass.  The food was delightful, conversations entertaining, and the venue was surprisingly great for our event.
For lunch, I had a great rock shrimp Caesar salad.  Crisp romaine lettuce was dressed with a creamy Caesar dressing and topped with thin slices of Parmesan cheese and shrimp.  I was told the shrimp was to be spicy, but it didn't have any kind of kick to it all.  It was a spicy chili aioli, but rather than any spice, I just got the creaminess from the mayo-like tossing.  This didn't mean it wasn't delicious, just not spicy like I expected, which would have been great with the peppercorn Caesar dressing.

Desserts were flowing too - including pieces of a chocolate truffle which was creamy and rich.  There were also praline cheesecake bites covered in a sweet caramel sauce.  And the best (which really surprised me) was the white chocolate cherry bread pudding that was covered in whiskey sauce.  It was not overly sweet, thick like bread pudding should be, warm and delectable. 

Random side note - Mesh took over for Scholar's Inn a while back, and unlike everyone else in Indy, I wasn't a fan of Scholar's Inn.  I felt the service was lacking, atmosphere was pretentious, and the food was lackluster.  However, Mesh on Mass, I really enjoyed it and what they did to the restaurant.  I'll definitely be heading back next time I'm on Mass!

We had a great program and shared great conversations throughout the luncheon.  The best thing about it all?  I would not have met any of these women if it wasn't for my organization.  And one of my best friends in the whole world was at this luncheon - amazing to think we would not have met if I never joined.  From my sisters at UMass to all of the women I've met after college, I'm thankful for these friends I have made through the years.  Happy 10 year anniversary to all my Fall 2000 Beta Eta women - we are celebrating 10 years as a Sigma Kappa on November 17th!  

Are you Greek, and if so, what do you enjoy about it?