Not so sure about these kale chips...

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 
We had our kale from week 2 and week 3 of our CSA to use, so I decided to bake up some kale chips. To be honest, I'm getting a little tired of kale despite really only cooking it once so far from our CSA mission.  So I was hoping this use would brighten up my current dislove of the veggie.

I knew it would be a simple process, just didn't know how it would turn out.  I began by cutting the kale from the the stems into bite sized pieces.  I washed them and made sure they were really dry before tossing them with some olive oil.  Then, in a single layer, I put them onto a baking sheet.


First round, they were in the oven for about 10 minutes - 350 degrees.  They were very crisp, and turned a little brown.  I thought it may have been due to the size of the kale, so for the second round, I used only the larger pieces.



The chips were crisp, light and airy.  I personally wasn't a fan of the chips - but I could see why people would love this nutritious treat.  Hubs ate them up very quickly despite his initial hesitation when he saw me tossing the kale with olive oil.

I'd be interested in making them again, but jazzing it up with something other than just sea salt.  Maybe garlic salt?  Or a little spice?

What are your thoughts for next time?