Onion Tart with Mache & Walnut Dressing

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 - 
When hubs and I were anticipating our pending Disney trip, I was busy with anticipation cooking.  The Sunday before we left, I woke up wanting a casual and slow in the kitchen.  I love lazy Sunday's, and being casual in the kitchen is part of that.  I had some chives, green onions and mache that I thought would work perfectly with Citricos' Onion Tart that I saw in my Disney cookbook.  Citrocos is a upscale restaurant at the beautiful Grand Floridian Resort - gorgeous.  It is on my bucket list to stay there for a Disney trip.  While thinking of the sunny and beautiful location spot, I put on a pot of coffee and got to work.

Here is the basic recipe and steps for the tart.  I did change it up a little and made notations as applicable:
  •  olive oil
  • large onion (I used four small)
  • bay leaf (I used two)
  • 2 eggs (modified to three since I was making one large tart, not four small)
  • 2 tbls. heavy cream (probably 3 on my end)
  • 2 tbls. milk (I used skim, about 3 tbls.)
  • 1 minced garlic clove (2)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • refrigerated pie dough
  • 1/2 cup blue cheese
While the oven preheated, I sauteed onions with the bay leaves in some olive oil until they were soft and lightly browned, but not caramelized to be overly sweet.  While this was cooking, I prepped the crust by laying the pie dough into a tart pan.  I pricked the dough (so that it wouldn't rise when pre-baking) and baked it in a 375 degree oven for about 5 minutes.  When the tart was done baking, I removed the bay leaves from the onion mixture and spread it in the crust.

For the egg mixture, I whisked together the heavy cream, milk, eggs and garlic.  I also decided to add the chives from our weekly CSA to the mix before adding salt and pepper to taste.  This was poured over the onion mixture in the tart pan.  I then sprinkled bleu cheese crumbles on top and placed it into a 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes.


While it was baking, I mixed up the walnut dressing that was going to drizzle over the top.  The recipe calls for:
  • 1/2 c. sherry vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
  • 1/2 teas. Dijon mustard
  • 1 tbls. chopped walnuts
  • 1 shallot, minced (I used our CSA green onion base)
  • 1 c. olive oil (I used about 3/4 c.)
  • salt and pepper to taste
This was all blended together and then drizzled over the top of the tart.  I also topped the tart with the mache from our CSA to freshen it up a bit more.  Overall, the tart was sweet from the onions but sharp with the bleu cheese.  It was filling but not heavy.  Which is good when you are planning on going on vacation in a warm place!