Candied Pecan Bacon: An Appetizer

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 - 
Every year, the Indy Alumnae Panhellenic (this is Greek talk people.  Put on your fraternity or sorority hat for two seconds, then I promise you can take it off and concentrate on the food) hosts a "Taster's Luncheon" to raise money for scholarships that are given to local, sorority women.  The luncheon is always a collection of salads, appetizers, breads and desserts that are submitted by the delegates and then selected for this event.  One of the delegates for our alumnae chapter couldn't make her dish (lucky gal was cruising with her husband) so I jumped to help her out.  I thought it was interesting, so I decided to share (by interesting, I really thought it was going to quickly become a mishap...)

Candied Pecan Bacon Points
Ingredients include:
  • 1 pound bacon
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • black pepper
  • rye party bread
  • 1 cup cream cheese, softened
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
  • chives for garnish (optional - I didn't have these on hand to add)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and top it with a baking rack. Arrange the bacon in a single layer on top of the rack.

Mix together the pecans, and brown sugar with a good grinding of pepper in a small bowl. Evenly sprinkle the mixture over the bacon. Put the bacon into the oven and bake until the sugar is melted and the bacon is crisp, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly until crisp.

While the bacon is cooking, in a small bowl mix together the cream cheese and Worcestershire sauce.  Spread the rye bread with the cream cheese mixture, then cut the slice of bread in half like a triangle (Jan uses scissors). Top with two pieces of bacon cut about ½ inch each and crossed to fit the bread.

 



I had no idea what to expect out of these, but to be honest, I was surprised.  They were tasty, despite me not being a lover of rye bread.  They even held up pretty good overnight in the fridge before being served at the luncheon.  And from what I heard, they were well received.  Overall, great recipe Jan - glad that I could help you out while you were off cruising!