Quinoa Dumplings & Heirloom Tomato Salad

Thursday, September 8, 2011 - 
Remember the quinoa stuffed peppers?  Well, I had so many leftovers of the stuffing I just couldn't get rid of it.  I quickly looked in the pantry to see what else I could do with them.  Remember, we were avoiding the grocery store and only utilizing what we had in our pantry/fridge/freezer and the wonderfully fresh veggies from our friends CSA. (And yes, I know this post is delayed - my apologies!)

We didn't have much.  But, we always have flour since we make a lot of our own bread and pasta. 

With a little water and flour, I knew I could have a quick dough for some dumplings.  I hesitated because of the starchy quinoa mix being stuffed in more starch.  But, the quinoa is the only ingredient in the mix (there is also meat and veggies) so I shrug my shoulders and give it a go.  I mix 2 cups of flour with just a bit of water to make a dough, then I kneed it until it is perfect consistency.  I let it sit while I mix up the salad dressing.

I was keeping the dressing simple.  Red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, salt and pepper were whisked together before streaming olive oil into the mix.  That's it.  Maybe two tablespoons of vinegar, one of mustard and a few tablespoons of olive oil gave me a slightly zesty dressing.  Perfect for the heirloom tomatoes and greens from the CSA.

After making the dumplings, I cooked the dumplings in some boiling, salted water until done.  And viola, a quick dinner utilizing leftovers, basic pantry items and fresh veggies.  It was quite simple and delish with a little hoisin sauce to taste.

Who else loves to clean out the pantry, get creative in the kitchen, and end up with a great meal?