And the Pig Returns...

Thursday, January 5, 2012 - 
Remember the pork enchiladas from last week? Yes, I know I just posted them, but that was last week! I'm trying to catch up - and guess what? I'm caught up!

I digress. You know I had a lot of pork leftover, so I froze it. Earlier this week, I dug out that pork so that we could have some pulled pork sandwiches. Simple. Fast. Easy. Delicious. This is the beauty of freezing items after making large quantities.

I find this especially helpful for the two of us. As much as we love to cook together, sometimes we want dinner fast. Something quick. Something easy. And of course, still delicious. So while I worked out, hubs whipped up a homemade barbecue sauce with ketchup, sugar, horseradish, dijon mustard, Tabasco, garlic and smoked malt from his beer brewing. Oh yes, we like to recycle some of the products of home brewing. Nom.

He also warmed the pork up on the stove with some of the barbecue sauce while I made a coleslaw. Simple coleslaw - I whisked together some mayo, red wine vinegar, dijon mustard and sugar before mixing in a shredded carrot and a few cups of shredded cabbage. I then seasoned with salt, pepper, dill and parsley.

Did I mention while this was happening, hubs was baking rolls for the sandwiches? Yup, I'm a lucky girl. Homemade bread that I don't plan on recycling.

My only wish is that I made the coleslaw the day before. Not because of time, but because somethings are just better the next day. I knew that as I was packing my lunch with a little smile. Don't get me wrong, I liked the coleslaw, but I knew the next day it would be that much better. As you read this, know that I'm going to be eating some fantastic coleslaw today.

A quick, easy and delicious dinner on a weekday. Sometimes it is the little things.